Cedalo on linux/386 supported

Attempting to install Cedalo on Atom N270, to keep it out of a landfill.
Installed Bodhi Linux 5.1.0, docker, added the mosquitto-ppa to the apt-get lists.

When attempting to install the cedalo docker container with the following command:
docker run -it -v ~/cedalo_platform:/cedalo cedalo/installer:2-linux
I get the following error:

Unable to find image 'cedalo/installer:2-linux' locally
2-linux: Pulling from cedalo/installer
a0d0a0d46f8b: Pull complete
4684278ccdc1: Pull complete
cb39e3b315fc: Pull complete
90bb485869f4: Pull complete
a9b6e68f09a6: Pull complete
da18d27ebad3: Pull complete
9f4029d62cf1: Pull complete
c01a6f0e2030: Pull complete
92f5561ced99: Pull complete
b2a26f7dd1b0: Pull complete
2a40628157d4: Pull complete
b09ba9722997: Pull complete
cc699223b320: Pull complete
56b108e4e071: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:d37638ce9aec2f3cd2925f864929b5b656cc9ada51282467ededd5f2ab8968ff
Status: Downloaded newer image for cedalo/installer:2-linux
WARNING: The requested image's platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (linux/386) and no specific platform was requested
standard_init_linux.go:228: exec user process caused: exec format error

Is there any way to specify the i386 target platform for the container pull?

-OTG

Hi,

Is it just Mosquitto you are interested in, or Streamsheets and/or the Management Center for Mosquitto as well?

Regards,

Roger

Hi Roger… Being a noob to MQTT, I am interested in Mosquitto and Management Center for Mosquitto. This will be used to convert my current Wyze Bulbs and Plugs over to an on-prem solution as the Wyze ecosystem is poorly designed due to AWS and occasional ISP outages. The plan is to re-flash everything with Tasmota and setup a local broker. Maybe later setup a cloud bridge, but that is a topic for another day.

The reason for repurposing an old Netbook, is due to the limited availability of items such as Raspberry PI 4. I figured if I can get this working in this proof of concept, I’ll upgrade to an Intel NUC in the future.

Thanks,
-OTG

Hi,

I completely understand! PIs are tricky to get hold of at the moment. You can run mosquitto on i386 from docker using the eclipse-mosquitto image direct from dockerhub. There isn’t currently a management center image for i386. I haven’t spoken to anyone about it, but my guess is that it’s unlikely we’ll start providing one. Nodejs support for i386 seems to be fairly scarce.

Having said that, there is absolutely no need for the management center to be running on the same device, nor running all of the time. If you’ve got something else you could run on that is 64-bit then you could install the management center there.

Does that help?

Regards,

Roger

Roger,

This makes a ton of sense. I could easily run management center from a Windows box. Being this is a very low powered system, I feel that just installing via:
sudo apt install mosquitto
may actually be a better plan than to have the additional resource isolation and device bridging layer added by docker. Do you see much of a benefit to running this in docker for a ‘dedicated’ system?

Thanks for all your responses!

-OTG

Hi,

You’re probably not going to lose out too much by using docker, but honestly I’d suggest doing whatever is most comfortable for you to work with.

Regards,

Roger