How to use unencrypted, authenticated access?

I am using unencrypted, unauthenticated access to https://test.mosquitto.org/ from Python on Linux for a while, and all works fine.

Now I want to test unencrypted, authenticated access, but how do configure this? I see no place to register name and password?

There is no security issue on my data, just wanting to try the authentication.

Hello,

The authenticated listeners require a username / password:

• rw / readwrite : read/write access to the # topic hierarchy
  • ro / readonly : read only access to the # topic hierarchy
  • wo / writeonly : write only access to the # topic hierarchy

More Details can be found on the test.mosquitto.org site under: Authentication and topic access

BR

Tizian

I do understand. What I am missing is how and where to configure this? I see no place to register name and password?

I am afraid I am still missing several things. I tried mosquitto_sub -h test.mosquitto.org -t "#" -u wildcard -v expecting it is a means to override user authorization for 20 sec. However, I can’t even connect:

$ mosquitto_sub -h test.mosquitto.org -t "#" -u wildcard -v
Connection error: Connection Refused: not authorised.

Hello :slight_smile:

Try this:

mosquitto_sub -h test.mosquitto.org -t "#" -u rw -P readwrite -p 1884 -v

You have to use the username and password given by the server, it is not allowed to use your own user.
If you need that, you can try it with our Pro Mosquitto trial.

Oh, those lines gave user name and password? Yes, with that I can connect. This will help for now, thank you.

Yet, this wildcard thing still does not work.

May I suggest to re-write this chapter “Authentication and topic access” so that even dummies like me can understand it? I find it highly confusing.